Monday, May 2, 2011

Fellow Industry Blogger's Outstanding Achievement

I'm thrilled to share the news that fellow magazine industry blogger D.B. Scott has been awarded the 2010 Foundation Award for Outstanding Achievement from the National Magazine Awards Foundation.

This may come as little surprise, but D.B. Scott's Canadian Magazines blog has proved invaluable to me as a resource for industry news to share with our readers, and I can't thank him enough for providing a model for my own Alberta Magazines blogging. Congratulations D.B., it's well-deserved!

I thought I'd share an excerpt from the NMAF awards announcement:

"With a dynamic career spanning four decades, D.B. Scott has earned his reputation as an eminent authority in the Canadian magazine industry
[...] D.B. presides over the industry’s most widely read and go-to blog, Canadian Magazines.

Kat Tancock, senior web editor at Reader’s Digest, says 'I remember poring over his archives when I was new to the industry to try and glean as much information as possible about the world I was trying to inhabit, and it was like reading a textbook on how things work and how people interact.'


In calling for his nomination as this year’s Outstanding Achievement recipient, John Macfarlane, editor and co-publisher of The Walrus called D.B.’s blog a 'public square' and noted, 'when [D.B] chooses to mount his soapbox, he is invariably informed, fair-minded and wise.'"

--- Rebecca Lesser
AMPA Communications & Programs Coordinator